SIBU SURA’s mission statement and philosophy is demonstrated in various aspects of our everyday business practices. We are passionate about people, our planet, and how to make the world a better place. We engage in organic and fair trade practices, promote sustainability and environmentally friendly initiatives, charitable causes, recycling efforts, and other important values and endeavors.
Being socially conscious and environmentally cognizant is paramount to us as a business and as individuals. In traveling with us on this journey, you will find new projects and relationships that SIBU SURA is working on with the common good of our planet in mind.
USDA 100% Organic
SIBU SURA’S chocolate bars are 100% USDA Organic Certified. The USDA states that the goal of organic foods and organic farming is to “integrate cultural, biological, and mechanical practices that foster cycling of resources, promote ecological balance, and conserve biodiversity.” We strongly believe and put such beliefs into practice, that organic products encourage environmentally friendly farming and growth practices, cycling of natural resources, and growing food without the need for harsh pesticides or chemical fertilizers.
Fair Trade Certified™
Chocolate is not only good for you, but it can inspire family farmers and workers around the globe, while enriching the lives of those struggling in poverty. Fair Trade applies a market-based approach that allows farmers to get a fair price for their harvest, helps workers create safe working conditions, provides a decent living wage and guarantees the right to organize. Further, Fair Trade chocolate is normally organic and shade-grown, meaning it is grown under the shelter of the rainforests versus a wide-open cut field.
Environmentally Friendly Packaging
SIBU SURA uses Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) packaging while promoting environmentally appropriate, socially beneficial, and economically viable management of the world’s forests.
SIBU SURA is passionate about supporting local, national, and global worthy causes that promote social good and benefit those less fortunate. We feel that it is our moral and ethical responsibility to contribute toward society.
SIBU SURA recycles its cocoa bean mulch made from hulls (discarded shells of the cocoa bean). Cocoa beans are grown on trees, and after harvest and processing, are shelled, with the beans processed further to make all sorts of chocolate products. The mulch is bagged and donated out to various home garden and business landscaping projects.
According to the National Cocoa Hull Association, the roasted shells offer a weed-free and economical mulch product that is safe to use on all types of plants and include many benefits such as:
- Green product – It uses something that would otherwise be discarded during the manufacturing process, promoting recycling and an environmentally friendly product.
- All natural – Cocoa hulls are all natural.
- Economical – Only one inch of cocoa hull mulch is needed for a deep bed of mulch whereas other products require much more mulch to produce the same effect.
- Attractive – Cocoa hulls are a medium brown color when fresh but darken with age to an attractive dark brown or bronze color resulting in a nice appearance around plants.
- Pleasant smell – Fresh cocoa hull mulch smells like chocolate. The aroma fades in about three weeks but your garden will smell like a chocolate factory for a while.
- Encourages soil bacteria – Cocoa hull mulch breaks down into the soil and encourages friendly soil bacteria that break down plant material into nutrient-rich soil that encourages plant growth.